You have to submit your thesis or dissertation to get your degree and make your parents and yourself proud, but wait! Are you mind-boggled since you don’t know exactly what to write as you don’t know the difference between thesis and dissertation.
Thesis and dissertation most often are mistaken to be the same thing. In some universities, these are talked about interchangeably. However, it is important to note that these two terms differ significantly from each other.
Usually students spend hours searching for material in libraries and other sources to help them differentiate a thesis from a dissertation but end-up with insufficient and confusing information.
Here are 10 most significant differences between a thesis and a dissertation
1. In writing thesis, you have to conduct your own original research. A dissertation entails that you have to synthesize the collected information and include your thoughts to it.
2. A thesis allows you to get a higher degree, whereas dissertation is more likely to be smaller part of first degree.
3. In writing thesis, you have to put forward a hypothesis that has to be original implying the authenticity and originality of your work. Dissertation on the other hand requires knowledge of the recent discoveries allowing you to draw conclusion by analyzing the collected data.
4. Dissertation is lengthier thus takes more time to be completed than thesis. Thesis comparatively requires less time.
5. In thesis, you have to work on the main point that you are presenting where as in dissertation, you focus on the work that has already been done by analyzing it critically and then adding your own input into it.
7. In USA, thesis is needed for either diploma, undergraduate or masters degree whereas dissertation is required to be written at PhD level. It is vice versa in UK.
8. Data collection in thesis and dissertation differs. Data for thesis is collected by keeping the hypothesis in mind whereas in dissertation it is comprised of theory and argumentation based on original work.
9. Students conclude their thesis by defining their viewpoint based on research work done while in dissertation they conclude by presenting their major findings.
10. In thesis, you have an objective or a point to prove failing which you fail your thesis. In dissertation, you have to focus on everything and if you are unable to prove, you have to accept or defend the limitations of your research proposal.
The 10 Points listed above gives you a clear picture of the difference between thesis and dissertation however in countries where dissertation is the basic requirement to earn Master’s degree and thesis to earn doctorate, some of these points need to be reversed.
Submit your thesis and dissertations get your degree and hear your friend clapping, teachers praising, parents praying and you feeling out of this world with your degree in your hand.